Reality Under Seige

The reality that once I lived in, whereby most Malaysians do not have a good impression on games (computer and console games) and thought of it as a barrier towards leading a successful life. But I was in for a shock as lately that reality once I lived in has become a fake. My Blog is dedicated on my process to find out the true mindsets (views) of Malaysians towards games.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, W. Perseketuan, Malaysia

Weird... Thats What I Think About Myself...

Friday, February 25, 2005

Placing the Obivious on the Presepective

As the world of games reach new heights in the entertainment industries all over the world, creating revenues as well as work space for millions of people all over the world, we are also expected to change our perspectives on games. This post is actually a follow on to my last post. In my last post, I caught up with a doctor from Malacca to share his views on games to me, but for this post, I asked a Multimedia University Malacca campus student (Martin@SBK, dude, I promised your name will be on my post, so here it is) to share his views on games. The reason was simple, does age barrier affect the mindset of people in the same area.

As expected, he started out with a usual answer on his views towards games (as all teenagers do) where games are for relaxing mind an helping one to think creatively (outside the box) because in games, a gamer can go through many different types of experiences through various games as well as experiencing a game first hand through the developers point of view.

As for me, the most interesting part of our conversation was when he stretched out that, without games, human won’t be as productive as they are now. The productive alone caught my eyes as I wondered what could have promoted him to use such a word to describe games. So, I asked him to elaborate on the meaning behind it. He gave me an example of an RTS (Real Time Strategy) game-play, where a gamer has to take his own time to think of different strategies to win the game (in simple terms, working the shit out of your brains).

We moved on to another question. Would he allow his child to play games? For me personally, this was probably the most surprising answer of them all, depends on how old they are. His children are only allowed to play games once they are in high school, until then, he will choose the games that he thinks they should play because he thinks that an exposure to the wrong games at a tender age might cost disciplinary problems in our community (and according current standards of computer and console games which is violence, the answer is most likely to be a no). After comparing the two people of different age group (adult and teenager), I can only come to one conclusion, the obvious has been placed in a new perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Calendar from Bravenet.com Free Calendar from Bravenet.com